[OpenSIPS-Users] Version 3.1 it stops writing cdrs

Kingsley Tart kingsley at dns99.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 22:38:43 UTC 2023

In addition to Daniel's reply, on Debian (also easily available on
other Linux distros) I use keepalived, which uses VRRP under the hood.

On our OpenSIPS clusters, I use the clusterer module to replicate
dialogs and other things across several nodes, and keepalived to
maintain "floating" (virtual) IP addresses which can move from one node
to another. It's these virtual IP addresses (VIPs) that we advertise as
the addresses for our SIP proxies.

keepalived is configured with several tests, which it polls every
couple of seconds. These tests include things like whether the node is
administratively enabled or disabled (a 0 or 1 in a status file),
whether OpenSIPS is responsive (a script to send a UDP packet to
OpenSIPS and see whether there's a response) and other things.

We have other tests but I don't want to over complicate things here.

If a node becomes less favourable (eg administratively disabled,
OpenSIPS not responding), keepalived moves the VIP to another node.
This, in conjunction with OpenSIPS clustering (the clusterer module)
means that service continues without interruption[1][2]

[1] eg you can mark your node as disabled, wait for the VIP to move to
another node, then restart OpenSIPS

[2] OpenSIPS clustering doesn't replicate early dialogs, so if your VIP
moves whilst there are early dialogs, those calls will be lost when the
VIP moves to another node. I have built some extra stuff to avoid this
problem when we want to restart a node, but I don't want to over
complicate this email.

I strongly recommend you look into keepalived, and if you do this, also
add (this on debian) net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind=1 into sysctl (for IPv4
sockets).

Cheers,
Kingsley.