[OpenSIPS-Users] Auto process scaling (UDP worker) and crashes

Gregory Massel greg at switchtel.co.za
Wed Feb 17 14:00:14 EST 2021

Hello

Is anyone successfully using auto process scaling on a high volume system?

I've been having a number of issues, including excessive system load,
deadlocks on the UDP worker processes and segmentation faults, both once
running as well as in the attendant (starter) process.

While I haven't yet been able to establish a conclusive reason, one of
the changes that I implemented in the last week was to enable an
auto_scaling_profile.

Unfortunately my init scripts weren't set up to collect core dumps, so I
cannot establish with any certainty the exact point at which the past
segfaults occurred. I have now corrected these so that, going forward, I
should be able to obtain backtraces. But there mere fact that average
system load has been ~33% less in the hour since restarting with auto
scaling disabled versus the hour prior (despite traffic levels being
similar) is, in itself, quite curious.

Thanks

Greg