[OpenSER-Users] Modify $au to lowercase

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Sat Nov 24 19:14:57 CET 2007

Peter,

Peter P GMX wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> that seems to be a solution in conjunction with the perl module. When
> will 1.3 be available?

1.3 is planned for November-December time frame.

> BTW: I am always wondering why such "normal" things as overwriting vars
> and general string substutution is so limited in OpenSER. Besides
> superficial documentation (everyone has to try and error and to reinvent
> the whole thing by himself), the main job is research ing for tricky
> workarounds in order to make things running. I am running a number of
> Asterisk PBX (release version 1.2) -- and there it's so easy!

I'd say asterisk is easier to understand because it follows the
traditional PBX model, whereas openser is a real SIP proxy. You need a
basic understand of how SIP works in order to deploy openser. One should
e.g. be familiar with the differences between SIP transactions, dialogs,
and sessions.

I've worked with many different SIP proxy products, commercial and open
source, and openser/ser is by far the most flexible one. There is always
room for improvements, but you won't find another proxy that provides
such low level access to the SIP message routing engine.

Asterisk, on the other hand, works on a much higher layer. All you can
do is modifying calls, you don't get access to individual SIP messages.
This simplifies the configuration but limits its usefulness.

/Christian