[OpenSER-Users] Modify $au to lowercase

Peter P GMX Prometheus001 at gmx.net
Sat Nov 24 18:48:13 CET 2007

> El Sábado, 24 de Noviembre de 2007, Peter P GMX escribió:
>
>> Hello Christian,
>>
>> that seems to be a solution in conjunction with the perl module. When
>> will 1.3 be available?
>>
>> BTW: I am always wondering why such "normal" things as overwriting vars
>> and general string substutution is so limited in OpenSER. Besides
>> superficial documentation (everyone has to try and error and to reinvent
>> the whole thing by himself), the main job is research ing for tricky
>> workarounds in order to make things running.
>>

> OpenSer is supposed to be a SIP proxy/regitrar/location/redirect server.
> And SIP its cleraly defined in various RFC's. If someone wants to play with
> variables that are defined in RFC as case-sensitive, and limit then to
> lower-case then it's not an OpenSer issue.

I see  that OpenSER can do a lot according to the RFCs asSIP
proxy/regitrar/location/redirect server.
On the other hand OpenSER could give some more flexibilty id the
user/implementer has the need to implement some things differently for
certain cases. Some guy recommended to do the whole authentication
outside Openser in order to get the needed flexibility.
My feeling is: With some more features on the API side, OpenSER could be
a swiss knife for SIP and services beyond telephony.

>> I am running a number of
>> Asterisk PBX (release version 1.2) -- and there it's so easy!
>>

> Now try to do a serial/pararell forking in Asterisk, or try to register a SIP
> user from various locations, or try to do a SIP spiral into Asterisk, and
> tell us how easy/possible that is ;)

You are right, I cannot do that with an Asterisk. These are distinct
products designed for different things.
But: If I can do the job with an Asterisk, I will do it with an Asterisk
due to the flexibility. If not, I will use OpenSR.

I believe that the perl module is a great step towards flexibility. But
what's really missing for my daily life is to comfortably pass (all)
variables back to OpenSER.
Why should we limit this (of course it creates effort)?