[OpenSIPS-Users] opensips and multiple rtpengine instances

Vitalii Aleksandrov vitalik.voip at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 07:12:11 EDT 2019

Hi,
> The RTPengine module in OpenSIPS simply instructs the server to
> start/stop the sessions, and adds a few control flags. It does not, by
> any means, handle the RTP packets order.
Sure. It's an rtpengine's problem. Had a talk with Richard Fuchs and he
explained what exactly happens in rtpengine. It can be rewritten a bit
to avoid possible OOO packets generation, but that's completely another
topic. Just explained why I need more than 1 rtpengine instance.
> The module ensures that for a specific callid, *all* initial and
> sequential messages go to the same RTPengine go to the same instance,
> if, of course, you are using the same RTPEngine set for that call.

My bad. I've tested it and it works fine and all sip messages of a call
were sent to the same rtpengine instance. Carefully checked
rtpengine.c:select_rtpe_node() and finally understood how it selects an
rtpengine node. Calculating it statelessly is even better than having a
hash table with all active calls and their node_id like it's done in
correspondent kamailio module.