[OpenSIPS-Users] Query about RTP flow

Ali Pey alipey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:34:07 CET 2014

Hello Nandini,

RTP session is negotiated through SDP. If the Invite message has the
OpenSIPS IP address in the SDP, then the client will send the packets to
opensips server and you need to run rtp proxy. If the other client IP
address is in the SDP, then the RTP packets don't come to opensips and go
directly to the other client. The same goes for 200 OK.

As for switches and routers, that's how IP packets are routed based on your
cabling, IP addresses and mac addresses. These are two separate things.
Think of them completely separately. RTP packets have voice and video data
but how they are routed to their destination IP is all in IP protocol and
has nothing to do with SIP. The destination IP address in your RTP packets,
that comes from SDP negotiation through SIP. A different story.

Regards,
Ali Pey