[OpenSIPS-Users] Wana replace Asterisk with OpenSIPS in OpenBTS Project

Andreas Sikkema h323 at ramdyne.nl
Thu Mar 31 23:53:25 CEST 2011

On 3/29/11 1:34 PM, ALICOMPUTECH wrote:
> I need to know the handoff and/or handover support in OpenSIPS as i am a newbie to this wonderful open source solution.

What I've seen DECT based networks (which from a SIP point of view work
more or less the same as GSM with handsets moving between radios when in
a call or not) is to have a handset having a home radio register some
unique identifier to a SIP server (like Asterisk or OpenSIPS). When a
handset moves to a different radio that second radio will send its
signalling and media, when in a call, to the first radio, perhaps using
a proprietary signalling protocol. For additional handsets and radios
the complexty increases, but the basics remain the same.

The radios, which I assume are either your OpenBTS or some GSM network
part behind the BTS, will need to find some way to spread the load of
the initial registrations, otherwise your primary radio will have to
handle a lot of traffic, but that and much, much more is up to you to
solve (it is one of those classic things left to the implementor).

I have NO personal knowledge of how to implement DECT or GSM side of
things and have only seen finished implementations of products, like the
one you're describing, talking to services I am responsible for.

--
Andreas Sikkema