[OpenSIPS-Users] opensips long shutdown time

Dave Singer dave.singer at wideideas.com
Fri Aug 20 20:06:56 CEST 2010

Sometimes when I'm do a restart on opensips (using init.d script, with some
customization to handle this problem) opensips takes quite a bit of time,
like 30 - 50 seconds to stop. Other times it is very quick. I'm using 1.6.2
and 1.6.3.
The servers are fairly busy, less then 200 calls per sec, with around 1000
sustained open calls.
I am using dialog module and db mode is 3 (on shutdown) with postgresql 8.4.
However since sometimes it is very quick with the same call volume it
doesn't "feel" like this is the problem. Further I have had it be slow to
stop when testing a config that is not using dialog at all and there are no
active calls or any sip activity when I try to stop it.
My hunch is slightly toward it is waiting on a transaction but not so sure.

The pertinent part of my init.d script customizations are for after sending
opensips the kill <pid> signal to every 0.1 seconds check if it has stopped
yet then start it back up.

Needless to say, having it take 50 seconds to restart, and not responding to
sip traffic does not make customers happy when your dealing with thousands
of call. :(

Any thoughts or things to try would be appreciated.

Thanks

cando