[OpenSIPS-Users] Disabling TCP or UDP (RFC forbidden)

opensipslist at encambio.com opensipslist at encambio.com
Wed Dec 23 12:18:04 CET 2009

Hello Samuel,

An mer., déc 23, 2009, samuel schrieb:
>TCP is very resource demanding and for those situations where the
>server is not required to work with TCP is very usefull to have the
>option of disabling TCP part.
>
>There are examples, such as embedded platforms with controlled SIP
>UA connecting to it where there's no need for TCP stuff and lots of
>resources are available for other processes.
>
>Not much related to RFCs...

Normally the RFC standardization process considers such topics as
'how practical a protocol will be in the network landscape.' No idea
why they wrote 'MUST' and not 'SHOULD' for the parts of implementing
the SIP protocol over both UDP and TCP.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the core OpenSIPS developers (are you
one?) have chosen their policy based on your logic. I don't see
the reason however, that if they're willing to forego the RFC
recommendation for TCP that they shouldn't do the same for UDP.
That would at least be more intuitive.

Regards,
Brian