[OpenSER-Users] LCR Gateway Priority....

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Tue Mar 25 08:22:57 CET 2008

Douglas Garstang writes:

 > The LCR module actually works better. It the gatways had a priority,
 > we'd be happy!

douglas,

in lcr module, gws belong to groups.  for example, an operator could
have for a city one gw group with three gws each of which being able to
serve calls to that city.

we have been thinking to add weight to gws so that a bigger gateway
within a group could get selected with higher probability than a smaller
gw, but that has not been done yet.

 > I'm surprised no one has written a better module for this. In the
 > realworld, you have multiple POPs, your carriers also have multiple
 > POP's,multiple gateways. In the event you get a failure with one
 > carrier, youprobably want to switch to the next cheapest carrier, not
 > anothergateway within the same carrier (as it will probably just fail
 > again).When selecting a carrier gateway, you need to choose the best
 > POP touse before you select the trunk.

you make in above the assumption that if one gw in a gateway group
fails, the other gateways in the same group are likely to fail too.  lcr
module has been designed to try another gateway in the same group before
going to other (lower priority) groups.  the idea has been that one of
the gws in a group may simply be busy or broken whereas another gw in
the group could still be able to serve the call.

if this design does not fit you, then it seems to me that you need to
look for other solutions.  i don't see how adding a priority to a
gateway in a group could help you.

-- juha