[OpenSER-Users] OpenSER + Remote Database scalability issue

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Nov 19 11:03:18 CET 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007, John Barry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have notice that when I configure http-digest authentication for INVITE
> messages in OpenSER 1.2.2, there is a big difference in the call throughput
> when you use a database in a remote machine.  For example, when using a
> Mysql database in a remote machine with a RTT= 0.187 ms, the total call
> throughput decreases by almost 60% in comparison when using the database in
> the same machine where OpenSER is installed.
>
> Why is this happening? How can improve this behavior? I would like to have
> the database in a separate machine.

Hello John,

access to a remote (database) server is always much more expensive as access
to the local machine. Libmysqlclient uses a unix domain socket to communicate
locally, the overhead here is much smaller then using TCP.

You could use a local read-only mirror (or perhaps mysql-proxy) to improve the
situation.

Cheers,

Henning