[Users] Support for T.38

Max Gregorian gregorian442 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 23 01:15:55 CET 2007

Yes, i'm beginning to think the gateway isn't really doing what it's
supposed to be doing.

I read about the uncompressed codec thing somewhere, but what threw me was
some of the signalling I was getting back which made me wonder whether I
needed any special configuration on Openser.

I guess a "488 Media Not Supported" error back after the intial INVITE-100
Trying, when using PCMU or PCMA (as suggested by the device manufacturer)
probably means that T.38 (auto detection) has not been fully
implemented/supported yet on that Gateway.

When I added other codecs in Fax pass-through mode, it seemed to default
(negotiate) to G.729 but the destination Fax machine rings, although it does
not connect because the Gateway was not responding to the reinvites - which
confirms what you just said.

On Openser I saw the re-INVITE come in with T.38 in the SDP then other
INVITEs but with G.729 so it seemed to be trying both audio and Fax. Quite
clearly G.729 will not work and is not meant to work anyway.

I will re-test with other gateways that support T.38 (and other codecs) and
see if I will have any success.

Thanks for replies.

(I guess you learn something new everyday.)