[Users] Realtime Call Monitoring

lists at infoway.net lists at infoway.net
Thu Dec 21 18:19:51 CET 2006

Bogdan,

This certainly looks interesting. The one thing I like about it, is that
if it works, I don't "have to" send all the calls thru SEMS to get status
or information about each call.

Now, there is always a chance the OpenSER will never get a BYE message, so
the timeout will eventually kick in. In thinking of "developing" a
real-time GUI to display this information, I guess we could always take
into account that if there is an ongoing dialog and the SIP devices
initiates or receives another "call", we may assume that the old dialog
was terminated but a BYE was not received. However, in the case where a
SIP device handles call-waiting, 3-way calling, or any other multi-calling
feature, this assumption will not work. Is this an accurate statement?

If on the other hand, we were to "force" traffic thru SEMS and OpenSER
never get the BYE message, I suppose SEMS would take care of properly
terminating the call and sending the proper BYE message back to OpenSER
(I'm not sure since I'm new to this).

It the above statements/assumptions are correct, I would conclude that
usign the dialog module would be more effective than querying SEMS or
having a constant socket monitoring traffic (the way FOP does it with *),
since it seems to be "less intrusive".

Now, to make an additional comment to Stefan Sayer's email (which I
haven't responded to yet), he also suggests to query RADIUS for this
information. If my understanding is correct, I believe RADIUS works in
OpenSER based on the INVITE and BYE messages and if querying OpenSER would
basically give me the same information as querying RADIUS, I guess we
could always use some of the already-available open-source tools that give
"real-time" RADIUS reporting, as was done back in the good old days of
ISPs.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Daniel