[Users] Authentication in Trunk-Mode

Martin Klisch martin at campus-merseburg.de
Thu Aug 31 10:16:06 CEST 2006

> Martin Klisch wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> are there working ways for authentication with sip trunks? i've read
>> cisco
>> gateways (PGW) and cisco call manager can do this.
>
> it depends on what kind of authentication you mean. Trunks may be
> authenticated on IP address, digest authentication, TLS or some kind of
> secret cookie/token (in a proprietary header (like OSP does) or as
> prefix in the request uri).
>
> All of these can be used with openser, whereas digest authentication is
> not RFC conform (CSeq problem).
>
> I think Asterisk supports all of them except TLS.
>
> btw: if you use IP based authentication do not use UDP (as it can be
> spoofed easily)

That's my problem. We want to use standard SIP trunk (via UDP) to connect
different PBX's and other carriers. So we cant use something, that isnt
rfc conform. at the moment we put a cisco router in front of a pbx and
build a tunnel to our ser. this is an expensive solution. anyone knows
other ways to do it?