[Users] Authentication in Trunk-Mode

Tue Aug 29 11:46:04 CEST 2006

Martin Klisch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> are there working ways for authentication with sip trunks? i've read cisco
> gateways (PGW) and cisco call manager can do this.

it depends on what kind of authentication you mean. Trunks may be
authenticated on IP address, digest authentication, TLS or some kind of
secret cookie/token (in a proprietary header (like OSP does) or as
prefix in the request uri).

All of these can be used with openser, whereas digest authentication is
not RFC conform (CSeq problem).

I think Asterisk supports all of them except TLS.

btw: if you use IP based authentication do not use UDP (as it can be
spoofed easily)

regards
klaus