[Users] logon problem

Greg Fausak lgfausak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:57:07 CEST 2006

Who posted this originally?

20-40 calls per phone, 50 phones, that's 1000-2000 calls per minute.
At 2000 calls per minute, that is 33 calls per second.  Pretty good!

Our environment took some work, and we can get around 250 calls
per second before performance degrades at all.  When it degrades, it
does so quickly.  However, using your load numbers, that means a total
of 350 phones can be supported each doing 40 calls per minute (using our
tuned openser server).

Performance steps we took included using bind-dlz as the dns backend.
It makes DNS so fast that it is no longer the bottleneck.

We also divorced the database from the ser proxy, the database runs out
of steam at around 200 queries per second (postgres).  That is not
the same
thing as 200 calls per second!

Network performance is very important.  Not just bandwidth.  You need
to make sure that you aren't getting retries, there aren't any hubs,
your routing is
clean.  Check routers and switches for errors.

Just curious, is anybody getting better than 250 calls per second?

-g