[Users] [OT] WeSIP don't work with JDK1.6.0?

Ginés Gómez gines at voztele.com
Fri Apr 27 01:59:26 CEST 2007

Hi !

> I apologize for the noise/rant of this post, but I feel something
> needs
> to be said.

Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta ;-)

Actually, thank you for posting your questions in a so open manner.
Hope my answers will clarify things.

> "By now support will be made trough the USERS openser mailing list"
> Source: http://www.wesip.com/mediawiki/index.php/SupportMailingList
>
> 1) I don't object to you making a commercial product, but please do
> not
> direct your users to this list.

Obviously before doing so I agreed this point with the list
maintainers. I think that is not bad for the community to see how
others are developing applications on top of OpenSER using other
technologies which are open standars (SIP Servlet, JSR116) even if
they are not opensource or free for everyone. Please, let me remind
that WeSIP is FREE for non-commercial projects so if you make a non-
profit use of OpenSER you can make the very same use of WeSIP without
worries.

> 2) I'm no license expert and won't confirm this by downloading your
> software, but seems you are in violation of the GPL by linking into
> openser and not releasing your software under a compatible license.

WeSIP DOES NOT link into OpenSER basically because WeSIP is JAVA.
WeSIP connects VIA TCP to an OpenSER module named SEAS which DOES
link into OpenSER and therefore is offered GPL just as any other
OpenSER module. SEAS can be used to build a decoupled extension API
to OpenSER as is explained with detail in http://www.openser.org/docs/
modules/1.2.x/seas.html

> 3) "WeSIP is patent pending technology"
> Source: http://www.wesip.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
> Where exactly is this technology pending patent?  Do you have a
> reference number by some chance?

Of course we have a reference number. It is the provisional patent
application 20060762 beloging to VOZTELECOM SISTEMAS, S.L. which was
presented on 07-11-2006. Provisional patent pendings are the quickest
way to "Patent Pending" and are the ideal solution for small
companies or independent inventors. Regarding PPA's I recommend the
article at http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/catId/FD8C060B-5DD4-4809-
A53ECCF6BBD87E32/objectId/75EE515D-3C27-4165-AA54D4EEDA1C1DD0/310/
ART/ which explains what's their meaning

> 4) I'm going to be a bit of a jerk and say you probably don't have the
> capital to successfully litigate any international licensing
> violations
> of your software.  So why was this license chosen exactly?

Companies protect their intellectual property with patents and
licenses sometimes. People follow the law most of the time. Apart
from that, not too much to say :-)

> To point of this is to not waste more of everyone's time, but to
> encourage the company behind this seemingly fine product to GPL their
> source so others can contribute.

We are considering such possibility but there is a lot of mid-long-
term strategy and internal discussion involved.  Those of you who
ever developed technology in a startup know what I mean. There are
cons and pros, of course, the biggest pro being the fact of giving
people the ability to contribute the project. To be honest, nowadays,
we are very far from having a clear direction on this issue but
anyway I really appreciate your interest.

Hope I helped

Thanks

Gines

PS: Maybe an OpenSER Application Development list for people
developing applications which integrate OpenSER in others environment
using WeSIP, Perl, Fifo, or whatever could be worth. Comments are
welcome