[Users] how to refresh REGISTER state when restarting redundantproxy

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Mon Apr 23 12:45:39 CEST 2007

> Juha Heinanen wrote:
> > Christian Schlatter writes:
> >
> >  > What issues are you referring to? We are using openser together
> > with a  > mysql 5.0 cluster for quite some time and never
> had any issues.
> >
> > how do you upgrade your openser tables when new fields are
> > added/removed, which happens on every new release?
>
> We use a combination of mysql cluster 5.0.x for the location
> table and master/slave replication for everything else for
> over a year now.
>
> Altering the cluster table is basically done by:
> - disabling all except one node at the SIP load balancer and
> stop mysql on the disabled nodes
> - putting the remaining active node into single-user-mode
> - altering the table on this node
> - exiting single-user-mode
> - putting back the deactivated nodes into the system
>
> You have to schedule that to a time of day where one
> proxy/registrar can handle all the traffic, but beside that
> it works quite smoothly...
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

This is essentially what we're planning to do, with the exception that
we're developing using 5.1 and all of our tables will be on MySQL
Cluster (since we can use disk-based storage for NDB Cluster).  It has
thus far been successful, especially with the upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2
recently in our development environment.

It's good to know we're not completely out in the woods...

- Brad