[OpenSIPS-Users] Need some clarification on rtpengine usage .

John Burke john at voxtelesys.com
Thu Oct 21 18:04:23 EST 2021

Hey Sasmita,

The rtpengine module only tries additional nodes within the specified
set when a node is unresponsive (controlled via rtpengine_tout[1] and
rtpengine_retr[2] params) .  If a reply is received, even if it's an
error, then the rtpengine_xxx functions return an error code and SDP is
left unaltered [3].

My take on a couple possible causes of your "Ran out of ports" issue:
- Make sure that you properly disengage rtpengine on call
termination/failures, and are not just relying on RTP timeouts from
rtpengine.
- If your rtpengine servers are dis-proportionally resourced (ie server1
has 2X ports than server2), then you could try weighting your node set.
- You are simply maxing out your rtpengine servers :)

[1]
https://opensips.org/html/docs/modules/3.1.x/rtpengine#param_rtpengine_tout
[2]
https://opensips.org/html/docs/modules/3.1.x/rtpengine#param_rtpengine_retr