[OpenSIPS-Users] OPUS transcoding query

Mark Allen mark at allenclan.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 06:53:43 EST 2021

I wonder if anyone can offer any insights...

We are using OpenSIPS 3.1 as a mid-registrar and in front of an Asterisk
box. We include incoming WebRTC traffic using the OPUS codec. Which do you
think would be the better option:

1 - Pass OPUS directly through to Asterisk
2 - Use RTPEngine to transcode OPUS to PCMU before passing it on to
Asterisk to reduce the workload on the Asterisk box

If option 2 would be the more efficient option, are there any settings we
should consider to allow transcoding to be as efficient as possible?