[OpenSIPS-Users] learning the realm from authentication challenges

Jeff Pyle jeff at ugnd.org
Fri Sep 25 14:40:18 EST 2020

I am not route-advancing in a typical way, so my application of credentials
is a bit different perhaps.

The environment I'm in has a variety of customer-facing platforms, over a
dozen at last count.  Some are for trunking, some hosted, some hybrid.  The
platform I'm writing on OpenSIPS is a testing one that will allow us to
send and receive test calls to and from all of them.  So, rather than
having a bunch of registrations on every test phone for every person who
might want to test, this allows each person to have one appearance to this
platform and select which upstream platform they want to send a call to via
dialed prefixes.

I use the uac_registrant module, and its registrant table, to handle the
platforms that require registrations and it works excellently.  At call
time, I'm working on the scripting right now that will query the registrant
table for the appropriate credentials based on where we've sent the call
and apply them in the failure_route upon receiving a 401 or 407.

Think of it this way:  when you configure a gateway in FreeSWITCH or a SIP
peer in Asterisk's chan_sip, do you need to define the realm ahead of
time?  No, you don't care; it's just a mechanism under the hood that's
necessary to complete the transaction.  That's where I'm at in OpenSIPS.
With Johan's parsing it looks like I'm about there, too.  Friggin' regex
gets me every time.

- Jeff