[OpenSIPS-Users] Dockerize OpenSIPS

David Villasmil david.villasmil.work at gmail.com
Sat May 2 11:17:56 EST 2020

Not sure about OpenSIPS specifically, but I would assume it has been
implemented in docker just as much as kamailio and freeSWITCH/Asterisk.

This is done all over the world. Docker is not an emulator or a virtual
machine host. When you run something on docker, its speed is (almost)
exactly the same as running it on the host itself, since there’s no OS
overhead, it works by separating processes via Cgroups, no by virtualizing
or emulating hardware.

Quote:

The Docker technology uses the Linux kernel
<https://www.redhat.com/en/topics/linux/what-is-the-linux-kernel> and
features of the kernel, like Cgroups
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/ch01.html>
 and namespaces <https://lwn.net/Articles/528078/>, to segregate processes
so they can run independently. This independence is the intention of
containers‐the ability to run multiple processes and apps separately from
one another to make better use of your infrastructure while retaining the
security <https://www.redhat.com/en/topics/security>you would have with
separate systems.

So in simple terms, docker simply separates processes.

There ARE, nonetheless, some problems with dockerizing everything. I have
read issues like If the network traffic is way way way too high, you may
encounter issues like dropped packets, etc. but this is a problem on the
networking side, I.e: the iptables rules. Also the natting related to using
docker can be cumbersome, but once you’re over that, it’s home free.

So, as long as you manage your infrastructure well, you shouldn’t have
problems.

In terms of troubleshooting a failing container. All logging should be sent
to some log server, and you can do your troubleshooting there. Also, don’t
kill a failing container so you can access it (via ssh or attach or exec)
and troubleshoot it.

The pros of using docker/k8s greatly outweighs the cons, in my opinion.

Hope this help.

David

On Sat, 2 May 2020 at 11:33, H Yavari via Users <users at lists.opensips.org>
wrote:

> Thank you Johan,
>
> When your infrastructure goes to run with k8s or other same platforms,
> it's hard to make some exceptions.
> Also softwares like opensips that are working just with DB, can run very
> smoothly.
>
> Although I haven't seen any problem yet after moving it to containers, but
> I am interested in hearing from others and developers team.
>

> Regards,
> HY
>

> --------
> On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 12:51:51 PM GMT+4:30, johan <johan at democon.be>
> wrote:
>

> First of all, I am not aware of a production kubernetes cluster.
>
> Using containers has advantages : fast install, easy to move.  The
> annoying thing is that if it goes wrong, it is not easy to troubleshoot.
> Secondly, you add an extra abstraction layer, abstraction (most of the
> time) reduces speed and decreases capacity.
>
> In short : it all depends on the size of your system. In ip4 I don't see
> the advantage.  What could be a nice scalable system, is to deploy on ip6
> with anycast.
>
> Just my thoughts ...
> On 2/05/2020 07:49, H Yavari via Users wrote:
>
> Hi to all,
>
> As you know docker and K8s, are growing quickly. So we dockerized Asterisk
> and OpenSIPS also.
> But I see some community members are against it. They have some reasons
> like NAT, RTP ports and performance.
>
> Do you agree with them ?
> Is there any successful large scale OpenSIPS cluster based on K8s ?
>

> Thanks for sharing your experiences.
>

> Regards,
> HY

David Villasmil