[OpenSIPS-Users] Fine tuning high CPS and msyql queries

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Wed Jun 10 20:18:09 EST 2020

We've checked our F5 BigIP configuration and added a second database server
to the pool. Both DBs have been checked for max connections, open files,
etc. Memcached has been moved to a dedicated server. Using a SIPp scenario
for load testing from a separate host, things seem to fall apart on
OpenSIPS around 3,000 CPS with every CPU core at or near 100% and no logs
indicating fallback to sync/blocking mode. Both databases barely noticed
the few hundred connections. Does this seem reasonable for a dual CPU
server with 8 cores and 16 threads?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/47925/intel-xeon-processor-e5620-12m-cache-2-40-ghz-5-86-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

What is the OpenSIPS opinion on Hyper-Threading?

Is there a way to estimate max CPS based on SPECrate, BogoMIPS, or some
other metric?

I would love to know if my opensips.cfg has any mistakes, omissions, or
inefficiencies. Is there a person or group who does sanity checks?

What should I be looking at within OpenSIPS during a load test to identify
bottlenecks?

I'm still looking for guidance on the things below, especially children
vs timer_partitions:

Is there an established method for fine-tuning these things?
> shared memory
> process memory
> children
> db_max_async_connections
> listen=... use_children
> modparam("tm", "timer_partitions", ?)

What else is worth considering?

Regards,

Calvin Ellison
Senior Voice Operations Engineer
calvin.ellison at voxox.com

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:18 PM David Villasmil <
david.villasmil.work at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you are hitting the max connections? How many connections are there
when it starts to show those errors?