[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSips Load balancer. - Overcome limitations of Call Driven Load Balancing

Chandan PR chandan.pr at webshar.org
Fri Jul 24 13:53:13 EST 2020

Hello Everyone,

Currently, we are using Open Sips Load balancer in Call Driven load
balancing <https://opensips.org/Documentation/Tutorials-LoadBalancing-1-9>.

Our scenario is as below:

*D* - Total Destinations configured at OpenSips
*P* - No of Ports/Sessions Each Destination can handle concurrently
*C* - Total Capacity = D*P

We have a Call Loader which loads calls to OpenSips at C and as when the
result comes further calls get loaded.
For some reason, if any destination is not in the right state and sends
error responses without accepting calls, this introduces a drain scenario.
In the drain scenario where all new calls are given to the faulty
destination as it has more availability.

We are currently handling this by

   1. Running the loader at 80% of C
   2. Disabling the destination in Opensips if 75% of the calls fail for
   the particular destination (Attached loadbalancer.cfg file).

But even in this case, it is possible that may call error out as the
destination is free and calls are loaded.

We would like to avoid this scenario to the max possible extent by limiting
the number of calls we send to this particular destination.

Couple of options I see are as below:

   1. Wait for a brief period before sending the response to loader when
   the error happens
   2. Make OpenSips aware of the destination capacity and adjust ports
   accordingly
      - Write a custom script to poll destination capacity and use MI
      functions to adjust accordingly
      - Or is there any possibility to integrate similar to FreeSwitch
      driven routing
      <https://blog.opensips.org/2017/03/01/freeswitch-driven-routing-in-opensips-2-3/>

Are there any other possibilities of adjusting the OpenSips capacity
dynamically or make it limit the calls sent to the particular destination?

Chandan Ravishankar <https://about.me/chandanpr>