[OpenSIPS-Users] rewrite status-line

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Fri Feb 14 21:11:52 EST 2020

I think this response is borderline. RFC3261 specifically mandates SINGLE
character to be used, however the reason phrase might contain as many
spaces as needed, so that it can be argued that in this particular case the
reason phrase is " OK" versus "OK" normally.

---

7.2 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-7.2> Responses

   SIP responses are distinguished from requests by having a Status-Line
   as their start-line.  A Status-Line consists of the protocol version
   followed by a numeric Status-Code and its associated textual phrase,
   with each element separated by a single SP character.

   No CR or LF is allowed except in the final CRLF sequence.

      Status-Line  =  SIP-Version SP Status-Code SP Reason-Phrase CRLF

[...]

Reason-Phrase   =  *(reserved / unreserved / escaped
                   / UTF8-NONASCII / UTF8-CONT / SP / HTAB)

---

Technically speaking changing JUST reason phrase in SIP proxy should not
break anything. You don't really need B2BUA to replace say "200 OK" with
"200 Have a Good Day" so it's just a matter of nobody having this need.

-Max

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:09 AM johan <johan at democon.be> wrote:

> To me 200 OK is perfectly valid.   The operator should fix this at his
> side.
> On 14.02.20 15:01, Антон Ершов wrote:
>
> Hello friends!
> we have final equipment that does not meet 200OK correctly. it adds an
> extra space between 200 and OK. from the point of view of rfc is not very
> scary. but there is an operator that cannot handle the given 200OK. I tried
> to fix it with change_reply_status in module sipmsgops.
> but it rewrites the status-line with the same extra space.
> Is this a bug?

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts