[OpenSIPS-Users] confusion about the reply route and the failure route

Ben Newlin Ben.Newlin at genesys.com
Thu Nov 21 09:17:42 EST 2019

"Moreover, in failure route you can only drop a reply, but you cannot failover."

I think this should say in reply route.

Ben Newlin

On 11/21/19, 3:56 AM, "Users on behalf of Răzvan Crainea" <users-bounces at lists.opensips.org on behalf of razvan at opensips.org> wrote:

    Hello!

    By default, the replies received by OpenSIPS are relayed further,
    whether you have a reply of failure route or not. The purpose of these
    two routes is to do any processing on the messages they are processing.
    Note that the scope of failure route and reply route is a bit different:
    the reply route is ran for each reply message - this means that if you
    for example add a header on a 408, that 408 message will contain the
    header. Moreover, in failure route you can only drop a reply, but you
    cannot failover.
    The failure route has nothing to do with replies processing - it is ran
    in the context of the initial request. This means that if you add a
    header in failure route, it will not appear in any replies! However, if
    you run t_relay() in failure route, you will create a new branch - send
    the request to a new upstream - that request will contain the added
    header. The only thing that failure route running relates to replies is
    the fact that if you do a t_relay() in failure route and dispatch the
    request to a new destination, no reply will be sent downstream.
    To summarize, if you don't use reply route or failure route, all
    parallel forking: send the initial request to multiple destinations in
    parallel. In such case, according to RFC 3261, OpenSIPS will only relay
    downstream the result all replies received from upstream - that is the
    lowest terminal response code.

    Best regards,
    Răzvan

    On 11/21/19 4:30 AM, 汤世祥 wrote:
    > Hi:
    >      I'm a little confused about the reply route and the failure route.
    >       Both can handle 404/408 responses in invite session. Both default action is to relay back the SIP reply.
    >         If I omit two routes in scripts(that meas not arm the reply route by using the t_on_reply("name") function or t_on_failure("name") function) or call t_relay() in these two routing scripts, will there be two responses sent ?

    Răzvan Crainea
    OpenSIPS Core Developer