[OpenSIPS-Users] usrloc restart persistency on seed node

Alexey Vasilyev alexei.vasilyev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 07:22:28 EST 2019

Hi John,

Next is just my opinion. And I didn’t explore source code OpenSIPS for syncing data.

The problem is little bit deeper. As we have cluster, we potentially have split-brain.
We can disable seed node at all and just let nodes work after disaster/restart. But it means that we can’t guarantee consistency of data. So nodes must show this with «Not in sync» state.

Usually clusters use quorum to trust on. But for OpenSIPS I think this approach is too expensive. And of course for quorum we need minimum 3 hosts.
For 2 hosts after loosing/restoring interconnection it is impossible to say, which host has consistent data. That’s why OpenSIPS uses seed node as artificial trust point. I think «seed» node doesn’t solve syncing problems, but it simplifies total work.

Let’s imagine 3 nodes A,B,C. A is Active. A and B lost interconnection. C is down. Then C is up and has 2 hosts for syncing. But A already has 200 phones re-registered for some reason. So we have 200 conflicts (on node B the same phones still in memory). Where to sync from? «Seed» host will answer this question in 2 cases (A or B). Of course if C is «seed» so it just will be happy from the start. And I actually don’t know what happens, if we now run «ul_cluster_sync» on C. Will it get all the contacts from A and B or not?

We operate with specific data, which is temporary. So syncing policy can be more relaxed. May be it’s a good idea to connect somehow «seed» node with Active role in the cluster. But again, if Active node restarts and still Active - we will have a problem.

-----
Alexey Vasilyev