[OpenSIPS-Users] SHAKEN/STIR

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Tue Dec 3 08:51:51 EST 2019

I’d also like to point out that in doing so, the identity would change. So
if a MITM reissues the identity signature, they can only say it’s them now.
So if the traffic isn’t legitimate, they are basically saying “This is me”.
Which I think is the underlying reason why it’s very unlikely that a bad
actor in the middle would ever want to do something like this.

I’m not sure how a self signed signature would be treated in the larger
STIR/SHAKEN implementations (I’d assume it’d be treated as
non-authoritative), but like I said, this would be the bad actor rewriting
the identity to say it’s them, or someone else rather than the actual
identity. If they aren’t a valid identity, they are basically no-one.