[OpenSIPS-Users] Introducing OpenSIPS 2.4

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Sat Nov 11 00:01:35 EST 2017

Bogdan, with regards to the media relays clustering what's the advantage of
sharing that load info between each signalling node versus having each node
tracking this independently? In my view the latter could be more reliable
and much less complicated construct. The only disadvantage is that you'd
get more command load on relays, however at least with the RTPproxy pulling
load stats is very lightweight operation so even with tens of signalling
nodes pulling single media relay every 1-10 seconds it won't cause any
noticeable performance degradation on the relay. On the flip side, each
signalling node would get accurate view from its vantage PoV, so in the
case of geographically distributed system when signalling node can only see
subset of all media nodes it would still be able to make proper decisions.
This is the approach we use in the rtp_cluster and it works pretty well
with cluster size of up to 5 signalling and 10 RTP handling nodes, 40-50K
media sessions in total. It can also give you accurate RTT information, so
your signalling node can not only factor in the load but also proximity or
each and every media relay.

As far as the load tracking is concerned, I think the approach to implement
"b2b-driven routing" using API that is specific to each particular b2b is
somewhat wasteful and is not very future-proof. What we would like to see
instead, is for opensips to publish some kind of API (preferably SIP-based,
using OPTIONS or SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY mechanism) to pull this information out
and let each b2b vendor to implement proper hooks. Then it can go as far as
making this info some king of RFC.

Anyhow, just my $0.02c. Not volunteering to do opensips side (ENOTIME), but
if opensips project comes up with the reasonable b2bua-agnostic load query
API to use we might look at implementing it in the sippy [py/go]-B2BUAs.

-Max