[OpenSIPS-Users] python module - bug and questions

Mundkowsky, Robert rmundkowsky at ets.org
Wed Apr 19 13:43:10 EDT 2017

Hi,

This email should likely go to your other dev forum, but I don't have access yet.

I am using openSIPS 2.2.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS.

I am using the python module.  The python script called works fine when called from outside openSIPS and it works fine when called inside openSIPS, if it is triggered once at a time.

But if the python script is triggered twice by two phone calls or more or even one call after another in short order, then there are weird errors which show up in different places in the code like:

ERROR:python:python_handle_exception: #011TypeError: an integer is required

I am guessing the openSIP python module has some problem/s related to threading.

Questions:

1)      I am guessing that OpenSIPS uses a multi-threaded architecture?

2)      Is the python module meant to be a single thread? Or multi-threaded?

a.       If it is meant to be single threaded then why use python library thread functions? Just use python library without multi-threaded stuff.

b.      If it is meant to be multi-threaded then why is there only one call to PyThreadState_New and myThreadState is a global used everywhere?

                                                               i.      I would think a thread per call to python_exec would make more sense and make the code easier to understand?

3)      Also why is there no clean up code (PyThreadState_Clear, PyThreadState_Delete, Py_Finalize)?

a.       I am guessing the idea is you do not need clean up, because it only happens when openSIPS is turned off.

Robert

For reference:
https://www.codeproject.com/articles/11805/embedding-python-in-c-c-part-i
http://www.awasu.com/weblog/embedding-python/threads/