[OpenSIPS-Users] Nathelper module doesn't send OPTIONS keepalive

Julian Santer julian.santer at rolmail.net
Thu Mar 3 17:05:45 CET 2016

Hi guys,

we tried to switch from nat_traversal to nathelper.
The reason is the keepalive mechanism.

The nat_traversal module sends OPTIONS with the following to header: sip:UAC_IP:UAC_PORT
Most of the UAC's answers with a 404 Not found.
On AVM Fritzbox with firmware >= 6.04, this OPTIONS may activate a security feature.
So after a certain time, the Fritzbox blocks all packages send from our proxy.
As we have ca. 80% AVM Fritzbox as UAC, we got a big problem.
So we deactivated the nat_keepalive vor this UAC's and we have to enable the keepalive Feature on the Fritzbox.

The better solution would be, if we could send OPTIONS with a to header like: sip:username at UAC_IP:UAC_PORT.
As I understood the nathelper module could send OPTIONS like this. Because it is looking into the userloc table. Right?

The nathelper module is on our edge server, the registrar on our core server.
The problem now is, that the module does not sends any OPTIONS at all.

We are using the version 2.1.2 from git. Last pull on 2016/03/01.

The nathelper config looks like:
#### nathelper module
loadmodule "nathelper.so"
modparam("nathelper", "natping_interval", 56)
modparam("nathelper", "ping_nated_only", 0)
modparam("nathelper", "natping_partitions", 1)
modparam("nathelper", "natping_socket", "IP_PROXY:5060")
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_bflag", "SIP_PING_FLAG")
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_from", "sip:keepalive at DEFAULT_REALM")
modparam("nathelper", "sipping_method", "OPTIONS")
modparam("nathelper", "nortpproxy_str", "")
modparam("nathelper", "natping_tcp", 0)

For the test, in the register route I tried to set always the sipping_bflag:
if (proto == UDP)
{
     setbflag(SIP_PING_FLAG);
     xlog("L_INFO", "Nat keepalive sip_ping_flag - LF_BASE");
}

But in my traces I can't find any OPTIONS send by the nathelper module.
Could you give me a hint?

Kind regards,
Julian Santer
Raiffeisen OnLine