[OpenSIPS-Users] What does exactally mean lots of warnings about timer_ticker in the log (OpenSIPS 2.1)?

Eric Tamme eric at uphreak.com
Tue Feb 23 22:22:38 CET 2016

Hey again Rodrigo,

I had further discussions with Bogdan which I will summarize here in an
attempt to clarify.

Because the new 2.x system is implemented as a reactor, the
implementation of timer based callbacks has changed.  There is a single
timer process who's only job is to keep track of jobs that are to be
scheduled, when it decides a job/callback needs to happen because of the
current time, it writes to a shared pipe which is read by ALL other
processes of the reactor.  Any reactor process that is free, will take
this callback off the pipe and run it.  In this way, there is no way to
actually block the timer process.

However, what can happen, and what I believe you are seeing here is that
the timer process has not finished going through the list of timer
handlers and it should have started processing the list again already -
so the timer list scan is overlapping.

I'm not 100% sure how this can happen, perhaps you have a very long
timer list and it is causing the timer process to fail to complete
before its next scheduled iteration - either than or it is not able to
write to the shared pipe for some reason.

I would bring the question to either IRC, or to the devel list with as
much detail as possible.

-Eric