[OpenSIPS-Users] Knowing when a call was diverted

Jeff Pyle jeff.pyle at fidelityvoice.com
Fri Nov 27 17:00:14 CET 2015

If all endpoints in your SIP network supports REFER and INVITE with
Replaces correctly, all you have to do with OpenSIPS is route the SIP
messages between the endpoints for transfer to work correctly.  It's up to
the endpoints to understand what to do with the dialogs, media sessions,
etc.  In my experience this level of compatibility is rare unless you have
a completely private SIP network and control every endpoint.  I mean
phones, gateways, soft clients, everything that handles a media stream,
really.

If that is the case for you, then I would think all you need to do is
account the REFERs within the acc module.  Granted that's an initial
reaction and I haven't thought through it completely.

If you connect to the PSTN through a SIP-speaking carrier, chances are they
do not support REFER.  In this case you'll need something heavier duty in
your network than OpenSIPS, some type of a B2BUA (i.e. FreeSWTICH) that can
isolate segments of your network and handle the REFERs on behalf of the
elements that cannot.  Some may call this implementation an "SBC", although
that term is ambiguous at best.

Hopefully this helps illustrate what is and is not possible with OpenSIPS.

Attended transfer is quite involved at the SIP level.  If you want to try
it with OpenSIPS, you're going to have to get your hands dirty, so to
speak.  You'll want to check out a SIP ladder diagram[1] of what's
happening between the endpoints during such a transfer.  The good news is
that all OpenSIPS has to do is route the packets to the right place.  In
networking OSI terms, think of it as a layer 5 switch.

  [1] http://www.vocal.com/sip-2/call-transferring/   (one such diagram)

- Jeff