[OpenSIPS-Users] Websocket connection closes after tcp_connection_lifetime expires

Patrick Wakano pwakano at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:07:38 CEST 2015

Hello,

More tests with WebRTC in Opensips 2.1 and I noticed that the websocket
connection of my browser was being disconnected some time after it
registered, this caused the javascript lib to reconnect and re-register.
This is not good because each time it happens, the browser uses a new port
and I get one more contact to the same AOR in my location table...
Investigating the problem I noticed the websocket connection was being
dropped because the Opensips' TCP connection lifetime was being reached and
so it closed the connection.
First thing I did was to use the tcp_persistent_flag from the Registrar
module. Unfortunately it didn't work.... So next test was to increased the
tcp_connection_lifetime parameter to something greater than the Register
expire time and luckly it worked! The websocket connection wasn't dropped
anymore!
Even though now things are working, I think we have some bug in here...
I know the websocket runs over TCP but should it be ruled by the
tcp_connection_lifetime parameter? I was expecting some independence,
although I would completely understand if it is not possible from the
implementation point of view.
Despite that, considering websockets fall under the same rules as TCP, then
the tcp_persistent_flag should apply for it too, right?

Regards,
Patrick