[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensips TLS

Matt Hamilton mistral9999 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 01:34:31 CEST 2015

We are using Opensips as a dispatcher to Asterisk servers. The call flow for incoming calls to UAC is below (outbound is reversed).

telco -> opensips1 -> asterisk -> opensips1 -> UAC (SIP phones)

We are at the planning stages of implementing TLS. Asterisk (1.8.x), Opensips (1.7.1 TLS) and the phones are TLS-capable. Is it possible to have TLS just between Opensips and the phones, and not touch the traffic between Asterisk and Opensips? If TLS on Asterisk is not enabled, will traffic flow between Opensips and Asterisk (unencrypted)? Both Opensips server and Asterisk servers are at the same location, so it's not really necessary to secure that leg.

Also, do you recommend upgrading Opensips to 2.1 first and then enabling TLS? I know our version (1.7.1) is pretty old, but it's been very stable for us without TLS. I'm wondering if the TLS module has improved (performance, etc.) since then?  (We will do the upgrade this year - just trying to time it).

Thanks,
Matt