[OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] Distributed User Location

Vlad Paiu vladpaiu at opensips.org
Thu Apr 4 15:05:12 CEST 2013

Hello all,

We would like to get suggestions and help on the matter of distributing
the user location information.
Extending the User Location with a built-in distributed support is not
straight forward - it is not about simply sharing data - as it is really
SIP dependent and network limited

While now, by using the OpenSIPS trunk, it is possible to just share the
actual usrloc info ( by using the db_cachedb module and storing the
information in a MongoDB cluster ), you can encounter real-life
scenarios where just sharing the info is not enough, like :
     - NAT-ed clients, where only the initial server that received the
Register has the pin-hole open, and thus is the only server that can
relay traffic back to the respective client
     - the user has a SIP client that only accepts traffic from the
server IP that it's currently registered against, and thus would reject
direct traffic from other IPs ( due to security reasons )

We would like to implement a true general solution for this issue, and
would appreciate your feedback on this. Also we'd appreciate if you
could share the needs that you would have from such a distributed user
location feature, and the scenarios that you would use such a feature in
real-life setups.

Best Regards,

--
Vlad Paiu