[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] [HELP] Advising on GPL license issue

Binan AL Halabi binanalhalabi at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:12:43 CET 2012

Yes I think so.

//Binan

________________________________
 Från: Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at opensips.org>
Till: Binan AL Halabi <binanalhalabi at yahoo.com>
Kopia: OpenSIPS users mailling list <users at lists.opensips.org>
Skickat: tisdag, 4 december 2012 11:21
Ämne: Re: [OpenSIPS-Devel] [HELP] Advising on GPL license issue

Hi Binan,

I found that page in the very beginning of my search and, indeed,
      it provides really useful information on this case.

About the statement, I understand that "affected code" is the code
      that uses (directly or indirectly), compiles or links against the
      library - which will be the opensips module. Correct ?

On 12/03/2012 08:06 PM, Binan AL Halabi wrote:
Hi Bogdan,
>So OpenSIPS module is not derivative.
>
>I have found this page : http://people.gnome.org/%7Emarkmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
>and at the end : "all the copyright holders for the affected code agree"
>and
>

>________________________________

                  module is a shared library that is dynamically loaded
                  by OpenSIPS core at runtime. So, there is no linking
                  between core and modules, but they share and use code.

>Secondly, the non-GPL lib will link only to an
                  OpenSIPS module, without being linked or used at all
                  by the core part.

OpenSIPS Founder and Developer http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>On 12/03/2012 05:13 PM, Binan AL Halabi wrote:
>Hi Bogdan,
>>

>>I think Opensips modules are considered derivative to the core ( OpenSIPS module needs "help" from the core. It is not stand alone  ).
>>

>>Special exception clauses can only be applied to an original  work and never a derivative. If the core is linked to the lib then all the copyright holders of the core states the exception.
>>

>>You can go around this by considering this module as part of original work not derivative. In this case we backed to above (All must state the exception).
>>

>>This must be confirmed by IP lawyer.

// Binan.

>>________________________________

                              something similar here
                              http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html),
                              needs to be stated by the copyright
                              holders of this new opensips module (that
                              will link to the lib) or by all copyright
                              holders from core + module ? This is the
                              tricky part :)

                            wrote:
>>Hi Bogdan.
>>>
>>>Yes .