[OpenSIPS-Users] MediaProxy vs RTPProxy

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 20:33:52 CEST 2012

Hello All.

2012/8/16 Ali Pey <alipey at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> This question has come out in the past but I don't see any recent comparison
> with the newer versions.
>
> What are the differences between these two media handling tools? Below I
> listed three aspects to discuss. Please add to the list as desired.
>
> 1- Performance and stability
> 2- Features they provide
> 3- Easy of use and configuration

I am a happy rtpproxy user (actually a not-so-happy rtpproxy protocol
user) and have little to zero experience with mediaproxy so my opinion
is highly biased.

Afaik they have two different approaches (correct me if I wrong) -
mediaproxy tries to manipulate RTP streams directly in kernel while
rtpproxy deals with them in userspace. None of these approaches is
better than other - they serve different purposes.

If you want a high speed low impact NAT traversal solution then you'd
better to look at that which routes media streams within kernel (I
don't mean mediaproxy - perhaps you should build your own one). If you
want to do something with RTP what depends on  your business logic
(transcoding, copying, mixing, playing back predefined prompt,
injecting your own messages, resampling, whatever) then you should
deal with RTP in userspace (again I don't mean rtpproxy in particular
- I ended up with my custom drop-in replacement).

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.