[OpenSIPS-Users] Best way to Integrate Presence with IM in VoIP environment

duane.larson at gmail.com duane.larson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:48:17 CEST 2012

I wanted to get everyones opinion on what they think is the best way to
implement Presence with an IM client. Is it possible to do the following

Use SIP for VoIP (obviously) and use XMPP for IM. I would want to make sure
that OpenSIPS could send Notify information to the XMPP clients telling
them that someone is currently on the phone. I know you can use the
pua_dialoginfo module to publish info about dialog states but I am not sure
if what I am thinking (SIP with XMPP integration) is possible. So on
OpenSIPS you would have a multidomain setup and the same would go for XMPP.
So user bob at companyA.com would be set up on both OpenSIPS and XMPP. Bob's
XMPP client (pidgin or whatever) would have buddies from companyA.com. XMPP
would work as normal when it came to IM's and Presence, but I want to make
it so that if alice at companyA.com calls someone OpenSIPS sends a XMPP Notify
to the XMPP server and then the XMPP server notifies bob and his client
shows that alice is busy or on phone or whatever.

Is this possible? If so how would Bob subscribe to Alice so that he could
see her XMPP Client Presence along with her phone dialog presence and it be
a single buddy on his list?

I know there are the pua_xmpp, xmpp and jabber modules but it sounds like
those modules are mainly for being a gateway between SIMPLE and XMPP
environments.