[OpenSIPS-Users] RFC: text pre-processing in OpenSIPS cfg file

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Tue Apr 10 17:50:11 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm bringing here a discussion started on devel list, as I would like to
get more opinions on the matter.

The discussion started around the decision if makes sense to have MACRO
substitution (as text pre-processing) directly in OpenSIPS, considering
that right now M4 is heavenly used for this (as additional tool to
opensips).

So, the debate was : have built-in text pre-processing *versus* using M4
as text processor

Pros for M4:
     - no effort to develop extra stuff - just install M4
     - can do really complex things (more than only macros, ifdef,
include, etc)
     - you can use it or not
     - easy to integrate with start / stop scripts
Against for M4:
     - need to be installed and integrated
     - you may have a mismatch for the line number (if errors reported
in cfg) between the .m4 file and .cfg file

Pros for buit-in:
     - you do no need to install M4 at all (everything comes packet)
     - you may get accurate reporting on errors (for line in cfg)
Against for M4:
     - more devel work to re-implement macros, ifdef, etc

Now, I would like to get your opinions on that (you as opensips users),
to see if we stick to using M4 for cfg pre-processing or there is a real
need to have this functionality as built-in.

Thanks and regards,