[OpenSIPS-Users] MediaProxy loading issues - I think I need some tuning here

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 5 13:58:57 CEST 2012

Hi,

> Saúl,
>
> You called it. Complete turn around in load-out - no more port
> complaints and at 900 calls I'm seeing around 20% usage across four
> cores. And the 'apt-get update' updates -relay for me, which I was
> expecting to have to build (like I did initially), so I'm very
> pleased.

I'm happy it works for you now :-)

> When the system is humming along at 900 calls I started noticing these pop up:
> warning: Aggregate speed calculation time exceeded 10ms: 10401us for
> 431 sessions
> Googling shows that this is related to some statistics, so I've turned
> it off for now to see how far I can push media-proxy.

It's just an indicator of how much data MediaProxy is relaying, of course as number of sessions goes up, this calculation takes time, and while  this calculation is in progress the relay can't accept new sessions. You can either sample at longer intervals, thus having a less accurate measurement, or just disable it, in case you don't care about it.

> Would you be able to recommend some other settings that I should make
> to help mediaproxy-relay push as many calls as possible?

Given the fact that the relayed traffic is UDP I'm not sure if something can be tweaked in the kernel, but one thing you can check is interrupts. See if they are hitting a single CPU (check /proc/interrupts) and if so install irqbalance so that interrupts are balanced among the cores. Good network cards also help, of course :-)

Given the fact that MediaProxy doesn't do much while the kernel is relaying the traffic, you'll probably hit limits related to networking first. Nevertheless, MediaProxy was designed with horizontal scalability in mind, so if you need to handle more calls, you can add more relays :-) Also don't forget that a relay can be connected to several dispatchers.

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects