[OpenSIPS-Users] new install and INVITES not being forwarded

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Jan 19 15:30:51 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro
> wrote:

> Hi Gareth,
>

> Gareth Blades wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem with running opensips in debug level 6. When
>> opensips is set to this I am finding that it takes a long time to respond to
>> register requests (over 5 seconds compared to a fraction of a second) which
>> means that my phone times out when trying to register so I cannot then debug
>> trying to send calls through.
>>
> woow...that is really strange.....never encountered something like
> that....do you log to stderror(console) or to syslog ?

Bogdan / Gareth,
I've seen this on several installations. Exactly as you describe. If you
search the archives, you'll see others have reported this as well. The
problem seems to be in the syslog configuration. If you switch your
configuration to use asynchronous writes, you'll see performance improve
dramatically. In syslog, this is done by placing a minus sign before the
filename. For example /var/log/opensips.log becomes -/var/log/opensips. Your
distribution / syslogger may vary.

And yes, this is apparent on a system with no load, and SINGLE SIP users.
With full logging and no modifications to syslog, I've seen on *many*
systems REGISTER timeouts. Took me a while to track it down; suspecting all
sorts of other IO issues.

Bogdan, I'm not sure if this should be expected or if it's an indication of
a more serious problem in OpenSIPs. If it's not an indication of a coding
problem, then I believe this information should be in the documentation
somewhere (if it's not already)?

Thanks,
Brett