[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS as regional/national office solution

Mark Sayer datapipes at avtb.co.nz
Mon Jan 17 10:26:45 CET 2011

Skyler -

We are a South Pacific regional provider of hosted PBX services so I
may be prejudiced toward a like infrastructure. Some of our customers
are 3000kms from our servers but the ping times are still less than
50ms so I'm curious why yours are so long. That said, 200ms is sort of
the magic number you don't want to exceed. (Having said that, we do
get some pretty decent call quality connecting to some terminators who
are over 250ms away. 50+250 and its still OK.) Call quality is 99%
Internet connection. OpenSIPS + Asterisk works perfectly with every
call but if the Internet (which you can't control) plays up you get
flack for providing a bad service.

I'd recommend spending some time looking at your Internet connections.
Can you get them all from the same provider? (I don't even know what
sort of connections you are talking about. We actually get business
grade voice quality from ADSL over copper.) Can you locate your server
in a data center that has good connections to both your ISP and your
terminator? My dream has always been to have a large rack of equipment
in the back office but to make our service work I've had to locate in
a major data centre hundreds of kms away. Our office isn't nearly as
impressive as our service is but that's what the customers pay for.

I'd only put servers in the offices if there was some reason that
functionality was needed there. Even if you need a receptionist at
each office that can all be handled from a single Asterisk box.

Just more thoughts.
Mark