[OpenSIPS-Users] Future of 1.6 and 2.0

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Tue Apr 19 23:30:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Simon Casa <scasa at email.it> wrote:

>  HI all,
>
> I'm planning to develop (in the next months) a new installation based on
> OpenSIPS but I'm worried about the maintenance of this installation.
> Indeed I don't know what is the future of the 1.6.x version of opensips and
> when it will be replaced totally by the coming 2.0.
> Could I know what are the develop, full support, bug fix support last date
> and when do you suggest start using the 2.0?

Simon,
I think it's about a 100% bet that the 1.6 and 2.0 configs will not be
compatible due to some pretty significant architectural changes. However, I
wouldn't expect that the coming 2.0 release is going to obsolete 1.6
configurations. I suspect that it will take a few iterations of 2.0 releases
before it becomes a preferred standard. For now, I'd plan on 1.6 configs
unless your deployment is many months out. That's just my $0.02 from the
perspective of a consultant supporting these systems and not designing them.

-Brett