[OpenSIPS-Users] Mediaproxy: media relay selection algorithm improvements

John Khvatov ivaxer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 15:10:44 CEST 2010

Hello all!

We are working on building geo-distributed VoIP solution with
Mediaproxy.

I think, that the current media relay selection algorithm is not perfect
and can be improved. In the current implementation we set IP address of
a particular media relay that will be preferred by dispatcher. But what
if the particular media relay will be unavailable? Media dispatcher will
run normal selection algorithm and does not select neighbor of the
particular media relay.

I propose to implement the groups of media relays. Each media-relay can
be registered on dispatcher with name and group. In the OpenSIPS config
we can specify preferred media relay/relays by name or group.

Consider the example. Several our relays in Frankfurt registered on
dispatchers with group=frankfurt, in Moscow -- with group=moscow. When
we set “$avp(s:media_relay_group) to "moscow", dispatcher will
select one of media_relay hosted in Moscow. Also, we can simply add/remove
media_relays in run-time.

What do you think about this idea? Is it difficult to implement?

--
WBR, John Khvatov