[OpenSIPS-Users] New to OpenSIPS

Dave Singer dave.singer at wideideas.com
Thu Nov 18 18:46:33 CET 2010

Learning opensips is not like learning a programming language like C, ruby,
puthon, etc. It is very important to get an understanding of how sip flows
and opensips works (get the big picture) then get into the details of how to
manipulate things.
Checkout the past webinars on the Webinars
page<http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Webinars>
First two I'd look at are:
SIP introduction <http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Webinars#toc9>
OpenSIPS default script <http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Webinars#toc8>
You may want to get and start playing with the live
DVD<http://www.voice-system.ro/shortcuts::opensips_livedvd>available
that you can use in a virtual server or a spare computer without
installing.
Further, look at the
tutorials<http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutorials>for specific
goals.
OpenSIPS Admin Course<http://www.voice-sistem.ro/downloads/2007.08.29-Admin-Course/>

The "Cookbooks <http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsCookbooks>" page is
basically the links to reference manual type documentation of functions,
features, variables etc. But it helps to have an understanding of how
opensips works from the suggested webinars.
Opensips IRC on freenode is quite active as well as the mailing list. Be
sure to ask questions there. But remember that like other opensource
software you are not paying for support so don't have an attitude of
expecting fast answers.

Also consider http://www.opensips.org/Training/EBootcamp.

I sure wish these resources were available when I first started with openser
(opensips) a few years ago. I have recently gone through some of these and
still found them helpful.

For performance check the Performance
tests<http://www.opensips.org/Resources/PerformanceTests> page
 and Forums <http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Forums> for results users