[OpenSIPS-Users] registrations and RFC 3261

Jan D. j-doedel at zonnet.nl
Tue Jan 12 17:30:02 CET 2010

I have a issue with an Alcatel PaBX-voip client on our opensips server bases
on RFC 3261. The PaBX is behind NAT.

On our opensips 1.6.1 i have set modparam("usrloc", "matching_mode", 1),
CONTACT and CALLID based matching algorithm.

All clients Call-ID in a Register request, so if a register comes early
(expire time 60, request comes in 50) there still is one binding.

The Alcalel uses a new Call-ID in every new register. This results in a OK
with 2 bindings. Of cause the thirst binding is almost expired. All other
clients (X-Lite, asterisk etc) keep sending the same Call-ID, I think this
is what RFC 3261 wants.

I had contact with the developers of Alcatel but they say the CALL-ID
'SHOULD' be the same. SHOULD is not MUST so the don't do it this way and
sent a new Call-ID every time. (if I sent a 401 Unauthorized they do respond
with the same Call-ID).

8.1.1.4 Call-ID

   The Call-ID header field acts as a unique identifier to group
   together a series of messages.  It MUST be the same for all requests
   and responses sent by either UA in a dialog.  It SHOULD be the same
   in each registration from a UA.

My question is if this is a good interpretation of RFC 3261, so if the
CALL-ID MUST stay the same during the registration (so for days of weeks).

If I switch back to matching_mode = 0 (default) i get problems with some
clients behind NAT.

Jan