[OpenSIPS-Users] [IMPORTANT] Release policy - changes

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Feb 16 10:29:34 CET 2010

Hi,

Following the start of the work for OpenSIPS 2.0, the priorities and
policies on releases changed.

Right now, most of development effort will be invested in the version
2.0 code. What this means:

A) Old (existing) design

 - there will be no more major release for this design - that's it, 1.6
is end of line

 - bug fixes will be carried on as usual

 - minor / essential  improvements / adds-on will still be done on 1.6
branch

 - minor releases on 1.6 branch will contain not only bug fixings, but
also the improvements and adds-on ; actually 1.6 branch and trunk will
contain the same code - trunk will be for coding and testing, 1.6 will
be the stable - after a change/add-on is tested on trunk, it will be
backported to 1.6 to be part of the next minor release.

B) New (2.0) design

  - a complete new SVN entry will be created for the new version (we
need to keep the current trunk as testing ground for the 1.6 branch)

  - the code already takes shape - once it will have a basic
functionality (able to start, stop, create threads, cfg read, etc), we
will upload the code on public SVN.

  - the first release of the 2.0 version is estimated to be done in ~ 11
months from now. Could be sooner or later, depending on challenges and
support (man power) we will have.

Shortly, I will upload this new releasing policy on the web site also.

Best regards,

www.voice-system.ro