[OpenSIPS-Users] How to bill SIP session time correctly?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Sun Aug 1 17:36:31 CEST 2010

Hi Alejandro,

When comes to billing, for Voip, you have two directions:

1) relay on call data from RTP level - this part was alrready covered,
so I will not detail

2) relay on call data from SIP level - here you have several mechanism
to help you. But first of all, you need to understand that doing ACC
based on SIP signalling may not provide accuracy in case of errors -
because there is no continues check at signalling level to detect the
ghost calls.
Assuming you use the SIP Session Timer mechanism with a 5 minutes
interval, it means you will have a 0-to-5 mins error in detecting a
broken call.

Right now I'm considering enhancing the dialog module to be able to do
SIP pinging (OPTIONS, re-INVITE) from opensips side, in both caller +
callee direction, to check the call health - this will eliminate any
dependency to the caller/callee device (like you have on the SST mechanism).

What is important to understand : there are various mechanism available
to check the ACC accuracy, but at the end it is a compromise between the
effort/cost to run a perfect ACC system and the losses due an inaccurate
system - like if bandwidth required to do RTP relay or SIP probing (to
detect the ghost calls) is more expensive than the losses because you
had 10 ghost calls per month ....