[OpenSIPS-Users] Transport follow up

Daniel Goepp dan at goepp.net
Thu Apr 15 16:32:05 CEST 2010

I did, but I don't see anything that says it would be a violation of SIP to
try a number of transports in sequence, and to determine that sequence by
the proxy.  And I do understand that this is not a problem with OpenSIPS,
just trying to find a way to accomplish something new perhaps.  We are
working with some other networks which use a different method of selecting
transport.  And we are trying to implement a similar method to select
transport using OpenSIPS.  Very similar to how route advancing works, but at
the transport level.  I am working now to do it at the scripting level, but
just thought this might be something to consider actually implementing as
functionality at the application level.  Perhaps it is just too unique of a
problem and not worth it.  The problem I believe is UDP is clearly the most
commonly used transport, but as devices get more capable (for example in our
situation with large SDPs for video, and traversing multiple proxies adding
record routes), packet sizes get larger, and TCP becomes a more reliable
transport.  Additionally many folks we work with would prefer that is a
secure connection is available, then it should be used.  So the defaults on
their network proxies will attempt in the order of TLS, TCP then UDP to
place a call.

I will continue my work to try to get this going, but thought I would post
for comments here to get thoughts on the matter, or recommendations on how
this would be best implemented using OpenSIPS.

Thanks.

-dg

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro